- Micro-battles create microcosms of the company you want to be: Critical strategic initiatives run by small, cross-functional teams that deliver customer solutions quickly and scale them effectively (Win-Scale). Executives manage a portfolio of micro-battles, creating a peer-to-peer learning system (Amplify) to help improve the individual solutions and the organization as a whole.
- Micro-battles involve specific support and activities. They:
- Are led by franchise players who are empowered to act as leaders
- Have the sponsorship and support of the executive committee
- Are comprised of cross-functional team whose roles support both customer intimacy and scale
- Rely on learning by testing with customers
- Use Agile methods, with a constant focus on the next failure point and rollout model
- Micro-battles can be launched immediately, with three winnable, scalable micro-battles, led by your stars and focused on key areas of dysfunction in your organization.
- Introducing the Bain Micro-battles System℠
- The Win-Scale Model: Leading at the Micro-Battle Level
- The Amplify Model: Behavior Change at the Top
- Point of Arrival: Six Design Principles of the Scale Insurgent
- Making the Case for Change: The Role of the Founder’s Mentality Survey
- The Micro-battles Learning (Training) Agenda
- The Amplify Team: Key Skills
- Micro-battles and the Learning Center
- Scaling as a Capability: 10 Lessons from the Masters
- Building the Scaling Community: Five Questions
- Accelerate and Fund Scaling: Actions to Address the Hardest Change Issues
- Broadening the Micro-battles Portfolio
- Designing the Journey: How to Tailor to Context
Since writing The Founder’s Mentality, we’ve been on a shared mission with dozens of companies to start a journey to becoming the scale insurgent in their industry. We’ve worked on hundreds of micro-battles and blogged about the lessons we’ve learned. We’ve organized these lessons into a user guide, which you can explore above, or download here.